What to Wear
Fall Family Portraits - Fall Outfits
You have scheduled for Fall Family Session and now you're wondering "What should we wear?!" Here are some helpful tips to help you figure out your Fall Outfits for Family Pictures!
1. Dress yourself (and most importantly, your children) in something comfortable! There is nothing worse than being stuffy and uncomfortable! Adults can "suck it up" but our kiddos can't, and often don't. Dress them in something they can move around freely in and be themselves in!
2. Be flexible and plan for the weather! You planned and planned and have these gorgeous - FALL WEATHER outfits - BUT Fall hands you a 90 degree day ...or a 40 degree day, just in time for your outdoor session! Adjust and plan accordingly. Kiddos don't do well when they are super hot or super cold. Add a pair of leggings and cardigan to the dress outfit! ...or remove the leggings and vest to cool the kids off a little! At the end of the day, you want happy smiles, genuine interaction and a happy family captured! Everyone notices that much more than the outfit!
3. Wear something you can get dirty! No one comes to a session with intentions of getting dirty but you could. Wear something you wouldn't mind sitting or lying in the grass in! Don't dress the kids in anything that you're going to be worried about them messing up the whole time.
4. Coordinate but don't be "matchy, matchy." Gone are the days where everyone comes to sessions wearing jeans and a white shirt. No more family uniforms for sessions! ...pick a color or two, and then coordinate one of those into everyone's outfit. Everyone doesn't need to wear all the colors you choose. You could incorporate the colors using scarfs, headbands, a vest or bows.
5. Pick one pattern and go from there. When I'm trying to figure out outfits for my family, I usually start with one of my children. I get my daughter a patterned dress and then pull everyone else's outfits based on the colors of the dress. Same goes for my son. If his shirt is a plaid, with multiple colors...then I'd go with solids of those same colors for the rest of us.
6. Pets are family too! So why not dress them for the family session?!
When it comes to "What to Wear?" for your Family Session, think - What do I feel good in? What do my children feel good in!? What can we be ourselves in? ...and go from there!
...and that's MY family's Fall Family Portrait from 2016!